Get the Skills to Become a Practical Nurse
Hands-on Practical Nursing career training in as little as 15 months
New classes start January 21st!
If you want a career where you can make a real difference in people’s lives, begin your training in the Practical Nursing program at Porter and Chester Institute today! Practical nurses are vital members of today’s growing healthcare teams. As a practical nurse, you’ll get to work directly with patients and physicians and help concerned family members learn how to best care for their loved ones.
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out!
PCI’s online career quiz takes a few minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for.
Take the Porter and Chester Institute “Career Training Readiness Quiz”
If you like helping others and you want a job that’s in demand, here are just a few of the reasons to choose our Practical Nursing program:
- Concrete Skills: Our science-based Practical Nursing program will train you in the fundamentals of human anatomy, first aid and medical terminology so you’ll have a solid base of knowledge from which to build your career. You’ll learn about proper medical administrative procedures and patient care and how to most effectively work in a modern healthcare center. You’ll also learn the clinical skills you’ll need to work directly with patients, administering medications, changing dressings, assisting with personal grooming and monitoring overall patient health. You’ll learn how to be a comforting presence for your patients and their families and how to serve as liaison between your patient and the rest of the medical team.
- Hands-on Training: At Porter and Chester Institute, you get to learn by doing. Whether you’re working in our labs or using actual medical equipment and mannequins, our practical nursing program is designed to give you real experience. We even get you out to area facilities to work with actual patients.
- Qualified Instructors: All of our teachers are registered nurses who are committed to the nursing profession and also to your success. Our small class sizes allow them to get to know you as an individual so they can help you reach your full potential in our program and beyond.
- Job Outlook: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for licensed practical nurses are expected to grow by 22 percent through 2020 and the training you’ll get from Porter and Chester Institute will help you prepare to take the NCLEX-PN exam and become licensed. We’ll work with you until you find the career opportunity that matches your newly acquired skills.
- Soft Skills: In addition to clinical and administrative skills, you’ll learn how to interact with patients, doctors, and medical staff with professionalism. We’ll teach you what it means to be a good employee in a real world setting.
- Experience: Porter and Chester Institute is proud to have served the community for 72 years.
The licensed practical nurse typically works in medical offices, assisted living, clinics, long-term care facilities and rehabilitation facilities.
The classes you will take during our 15 month program include:
- Practical Nursing Seminar
- Nursing Perspectives Throughout Lifespan
- Life Science
- Nursing Fundamentals
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
- Basic Pharmacology
- Clinical Experience
LPN jobs are projected to increase by 12% from 2016 – 2026. The aging American population is increasing, creating more demand and need for healthcare services and jobs.
*Source: BLS.gov 2016-2026
To learn more about the Practical Nursing program at Porter and Chester Institute, request information from one of our Career Program Specialists today!
Our Practical Nursing program is offered at the following Connecticut campuses:
Classes begin soon!